The editors invite submissions of manuscripts in English appropriate to the aims of Critical Inquiry. Manuscripts should not exceed 7,500 words; this limit includes discursive notes but not bibliographical information. We do not accept multiple submissions or submissions submitted simultaneously elsewhere (in print or online). The journal does not pay contributors. Authors will receive a complimentary one-year subscription to the journal and ten copies of the issue in which their essays appear.
Preparation of Copy:
1. Type all copy—including footnotes—allowing two-inch margins at top and bottom of page and generous margins on the sides. Please be sure to number your pages.
2. Footnotes should be numbered consecutively throughout the manuscript.
3. All quotations, titles, names, and dates should be double-checked for accuracy.
4. Please submit to www.editorialmanager.com/ci/.
5. Do not embed images in your document.
Format of Footnotes:
All footnotes should be typed double-space. They should be numbered consecutively and should correspond with the numbers in the text. Footnote style follows The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition.
1. Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations, trans. G. E. M. Anscombe (New York, 1958).
2. Stanley Cavell, "Leopards in Connecticut," Georgia Review 30 (Summer 1976): 233–62.
3. C. D. Jones, "The Dance," in The Arts in the Twentieth Century, ed. E. F. White (New York, 1972).
4. Thomas Jefferson, Papers of Thomas Jefferson, ed. Julian P. Boyd et al., 17 vols. (Princeton, N.J., 1950), 10:34–35.
5. James Williams, "A Critical Edition of Jack London’s The Star Rover" (PhD diss., Columbia University, 1989).
Second and later references to a previously cited work should be referred to by the author's last name and the title of the work. Do not use op. cit.
1. We only publish responses to Critical Inquiry articles.
2. All responses should not exceed 3,000 words.
3. Please follow format and footnote guide for articles.
4. Please submit as "Critical Response" to www.editorialmanager.com/ci/.
1. All reviews should not exceed 500 words.
2. Please limit reviews to a single, current monograph.
3. Please submit as "Review" to www.editorialmanager.com/ci/.